[SunRescue] Your not gettin' em!

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 28 02:22:06 CST 2001

HiTechCafe has very *good* customer service - they simply did not want to sell 300 +/- drives at 10 cents on the dollar because someone made a typo.

If you made a typo in an ebay listing and offered your SS/5-170 with a "buy it now" price of $35, not $350 - would you simply smile and hope that fellow comes back and buys something from you next time?

Probably not - you'd be out $315, and all because of a typo.

How about if you were to sell your car - but instead of putting the price of $35000, you put down $3500 - would you still sell the car for the advertised price? Why not, that is the price of doing business, accoriding to your note below...

This error would have cost them $180 x 250 drives (conservative count), or $45K. They can't simply "absorb" that kind of loss, that may be 2x what the fellow that made the typo will make all year!

In the abstract, you may have a point, but in the meatspace we all occupy, they are being reasonable, IMHO. Your opinion differs, and you are free to frequent other retailers, but it is (I suspect) the opinion of most on this list that HiTechCafe is a quality operation, offering good-to-great deals on useful items for many of us.

My 9 Gig IBM SCA drives (1") for $69 is a good deal, IMHO, and I will continue to shop there.