[SunRescue] Re: New SunBlade

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 09:50:07 CST 2001

The usefull-ness of desktop cases is that they are *rackable*...

The SunBlade was not designed to be a server, so having only a few internal drive slots is not a problem (to my view of the box). Besides, with 75 Gig IDE HDs on the market, how many drive slots does one need? Or, if you follow Suns desired upgrade path, 2x15 Gig drives is plenty for *many* desktop/rack applications...

This raises the popular question, how much data do you want hanging on the same spindle?

So, the form-factor is nice (AFAIAC) and the internal upgrade path is fine too... Assuming you add the $60 Symbios SCSI adapter for your external drives...

To my mind, the Sun Blade 100 is only about $60 away from being as flexible as an SS/20 base (save SMP functionality, but 500 MHz UltraSPARC vs. 4x Fast MBUS CPUs is a reasonable compromise, IMHO).

Ken