[SunRescue] Re: Recommend starter Sun?

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 09:59:58 CST 2001

Ultra 2's are not cheap. The base is expensive, the CPUs are expensive. The RAM & HD are not so expensive though.

SS/10s are not well-suited for 4-way SMP, IMHO. They can do it, and they can be useful, but you will spend an awful lot on CPUs that will always seem slow when you work on an Intel box of recent vintage.

I'd suggest thinking reall hard about the Sun Blade 100.

If that is too much, Ultra 1s and 5s are showing up on Usenet for a few hundred dollars now (nicely equipped for $500 +/-), but RAM is expensive for the Ultra 5's.

I would sit down, and figure out where you want to take your server/desktop - list the RAM, HD, etc. and price out each different machine you are considering... I bet the Sun Blade 100 will win out.

Ken