[SunRescue] Veritas backup for *nix

Scott Norwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 20 20:23:15 CST 2001

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Licenses are a pain in the ass...I run AMANDA.  Initial setup is a
> pain, but once it's running, it kicks ass.  I'm backing up 33
> filesystems on 12 machines in three states using AMANDA.  It's cool!

Amanda is great for what it does.  The problem is that, as of a couple
of years ago, it couldn't handle tape robot control and could only deal
with single-tape drives.  This is fine for a smaller network, but
becomes less useful on a huge network unless you really want to change
tapes manually every day.  Perhaps things have changed since then...at
the time, tape robot control was on the "to do" list for the Amanda
developers.

The nice things about Amanda (aside from the fact that it's free with
source) include standard tape formats, fairly simple configuration, and
good cataloging and email reports.

At home, I personally just use dump (ufsdump, actually), which works
fine.

- Scott