[SunRescue] Veritas backup for *nix

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 20 22:49:28 CST 2001

On March 20, Scott Norwood wrote:
> Amanda is great for what it does.  The problem is that, as of a couple
> of years ago, it couldn't handle tape robot control and could only deal
> with single-tape drives.  This is fine for a smaller network, but
> becomes less useful on a huge network unless you really want to change
> tapes manually every day.  Perhaps things have changed since then...at
> the time, tape robot control was on the "to do" list for the Amanda
> developers.

  I'm using it with an 80-tape four-drive juke here...it's got full
changer support.

> The nice things about Amanda (aside from the fact that it's free with
> source) include standard tape formats, fairly simple configuration, and
> good cataloging and email reports.

  Agreed.

  About your "fine for smaller networks" statement, though...While still
at DIGEX, my department was responsible for backups for a while...at
the time the department got split up, an SS5/110 with a DLT4000 tape
drive was backing up user data on well over two hundred Unix machines.
Not a small network by any stretch...and It did the job just fine.

  No, I'm not an AMANDA developer, just a happy evangelist. 8)

       -Dave McGuire