[SunRescue] Re: Recommend starter Sun?

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 17 18:55:32 CST 2001

Actually most SGI monitors do work on most sun systems after '92 or so
assuming that the monitor is multisync capable. In fact most of the SGI
monitors from aroud that time period on are the exact same Sony monitors
that sun used with different labeling. Prior to that most everything was
fixed frequency, both on the framebuffer and the monitor.

Even on earlier fixed frequency monitors you might find at least one mode on
the fremebuffer that will work with the SGI monitor.

They do sell frequency adapters that sit in between your framebuffer and
your monitor that can either convert the scan frequency (very expensive,
poor image quailty, not worth it) or that can force a multimode framebuffer
into a mode compatible with your monitor. The latter sell for about $20.00

Chris Byrne