[SunRescue] Re: Recommend starter Sun?

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 16 14:37:11 CST 2001

On 16 Mar 2001 12:57:34 -0700, Geoffrey T. Cheshire wrote:
> Thanks for the info!  I'll keep browsing for a nice SS2 or SS10 - what
> difference in performance could I expect from these two?  (Maybe rough
> approximation vis-a-vis peecee world?)  Also, I've been reading that some
> SS2's have heat problems?

The SS10 has easily replaceable CPUs, so it's hard to make a simple
comparison.  I'd expect that you'd get maybe an SM41 type system, with
128MB of ram, and a ~1GB disk?  (am I close here?  I haven't priced
SS10s in a while, the SB100 looks so nice)

> Will it be relatively easy to find another 10bT port for one of these if i
> want to route/firewll with it?  Or should I look for one with another port
> already installed?

If you're lucky, you might be able to find one for about $50 including
shipping.  But they're nearly as rare as hens teeth.

    Greg