[SunRescue] Re: Recommend starter Sun?

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 16 14:43:42 CST 2001

> Thanks for the info!  I'll keep browsing for a nice SS2 or SS10 - what
> difference in performance could I expect from these two?  (Maybe rough
> approximation vis-a-vis peecee world?)  Also, I've been reading that some
> SS2's have heat problems?

The SS1 and SS2 I run are roughly equivalent to a 486/33, most of the time.
Usable, but a tad slow.  But, hey, this machine that I am writing on is
a 486/33 FreeBSD web server.  Don't worry about the heat problems, for usual
sized 1/3 height drives, typically.  I run two drives in each of my machines,
and no problems at all.  I would stay away from HOT running HP or such
drives with high rotational speeds.  If you want to run one of those,
maybe OK, but two could get hot.  I use mostly DEC RZ26L (Quantums) drives
and they run cool as a cucumber, with a pair in each machine.  If you
really want lots of space, add external drives in a cabinet.  I run,
typically 3 or 4 external drives, whatever size is available, on mine,
and they do well.  I can't comment on the SS10, since I don't have
one.  In terminal mode, you will probably find that the network
is the slowest bottleneck, not the machine.  They make plenty fine
closet webservers and that sort of machine.  They are a fair bit
slow, by todays standards, for use as an X/Webscraping machine, etc.

Good Luck

Bob