[SunRescue] Recommend starter Sun?

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 14 23:12:01 CST 2001

On March 14, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> Depends.  I like the SS2, just because I have more 30-pin RAM than I know
> what to do with, but it's almost a wash...  The IPX is somewhat less
> expandable (only 1 disk, 2 Sbus slots), but the SS2 loses a slot for
> video, etc.  The SS2 has the SBus RAM boards available for it, can't
> remember if anybody has ever gotten an IPX above 64M...

  The IPX can easily go to 128mb with those sbus expansion boards.

> They have the same proc, so performance isn't as issue.

  No, they don't.  The IPX has 8 contexts while the SS2 has 16,
resulting in improved multitasking performance.

> I remember when the SS2 came out, I wanted one in the worst way... I was
> using an IPC w/24M of RAM to publish 2000+ page manuals with Interleaf.  I
> thought the SS2 was just amazing...

  And the scary thought is, it'll STILL do all that same work.  They
don't get slower or lose capability with age.

                -Dave McGuire