[SunRescue] Recommend starter Sun?

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 15 00:00:42 CST 2001

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   The IPX can easily go to 128mb with those sbus expansion boards.

Really?  I thought they were only supported in the SS2...  There is a SAX
connector on the IPX, but I didn't know the boards would work.

> > They have the same proc, so performance isn't as issue.
>
>   No, they don't.  The IPX has 8 contexts while the SS2 has 16,
> resulting in improved multitasking performance.

Interesting, I thought they used the same chip... Although, the HW ref.
agrees w/you.  Hmmm... Never seen much of a performance difference.

>   And the scary thought is, it'll STILL do all that same work.  They
> don't get slower or lose capability with age.

That could be why there is a 96M SS2 in the office next to the U30 and the
U1.  Now I just need Interleaf... Are they even in business anymore?

-Pete