[SunRescue] Recommend starter Sun?

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 14 22:31:29 CST 2001

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Geoffrey T. Cheshire wrote:

> Ebay has tons of SS2's with what seems like enough RAM and HDD for what I
> want to do, but maybe an IPX is better?

Depends.  I like the SS2, just because I have more 30-pin RAM than I know
what to do with, but it's almost a wash...  The IPX is somewhat less
expandable (only 1 disk, 2 Sbus slots), but the SS2 loses a slot for
video, etc.  The SS2 has the SBus RAM boards available for it, can't
remember if anybody has ever gotten an IPX above 64M...

They have the same proc, so performance isn't as issue.

Since they are common as dirt, early Sun SPARCstations run almost anything
- Net/Open BSD, Linux SPARC, SunOS 4.x, Solaris (up to 7), etc.

I remember when the SS2 came out, I wanted one in the worst way... I was
using an IPC w/24M of RAM to publish 2000+ page manuals with Interleaf.  I
thought the SS2 was just amazing...

-Pete