[SunRescue] WTB RS/6000

Kevin Loch rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 14 22:17:12 CST 2001

I use AIX extensively at work, along with Solaris,
FreeBSD, NetBSD etc.  AIX is a very fast and
stable OS.  Uptimes > 1 year are not uncommon.
Porting apps is a real pain.  Ypu will learn
to love the compiled software archives
at www.bull.de.

The virtual volume manager
is a bit obtuse compared with Solaris, but
does offer some nice features.  The JFS filesystem
is very nice and allows you to expand the filesystem
sizes while they are still in use!  Apparently
no one at IBM though of the need to shrink filesystems
but I believe there are third pary apps for that.

You will learn to use the smit app for most admin
functions.  It's really not that bad and only
gives you slight "voodoo" vibes once you realize
what it's doing.

Like Solaris, you should prune down the stuff set to startup
on default.  AIX is even worse in this department than
Solaris.

KL