[SunRescue] WTB RS/6000

Ed Pate rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 15 09:12:48 CST 2001

--------------6AE26E947F3A5E3B78CBA834

I'm told that SUN and Veritas almost signed an agreement to integrate in
Solaris, until somebody pointed out how much money BOTH companies are making
selling them separately.  The Veritas products are one of SUN's highest
profit lines.

Ed

Reagen Ward wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 11:17:12PM -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
>
> > The virtual volume manager
> > is a bit obtuse compared with Solaris, but
> > does offer some nice features.  The JFS filesystem
> > is very nice and allows you to expand the filesystem
> > sizes while they are still in use!  Apparently
> > no one at IBM though of the need to shrink filesystems
> > but I believe there are third pary apps for that.
>
> I find LVM to be much more friendly than Veritas, and it pleases me that
> vendors like IBM and HP appreciate the importance of INTEGRATING IT WITH
> THE OS, DAMMIT!
>
> I have the ability to shrink filesystems at work on our Suns and HPs,
> but they won't let me.  They're all afraid. :)
>
> Reagen

--------------6AE26E947F3A5E3B78CBA834

begin:vcard
n:Pate;Ed
tel;fax:904-359-3904
tel;work:904-359-2401
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CSX Technology;MidTier Strategic
adr:;;550 Water St, J976;Jacksonville;FL;32202;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:Ed_Pate at CSX.com
title:Engineer - Technical Architecture
fn:Ed Pate