[SunRescue] 4/330 woes revisited.

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 8 03:54:32 CST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Tim Harrison wrote:

> Dave Reader wrote:
>
> > Nope.
> >
> > _0x_38 == (3 * 16) + 8 == 56
>
> Okay, stupid moment.  I understand the 3*16, but where's the +8 come
> from?

0x38 is 0x30 + 0x08 ..

> > So, assuming your underscores are replacing the additional zeros, with
> just the 32M onboard, it would be 0x_20.  With the 16M card added, it
> would be 0x_30, and with the further 8M card, it would be 0x_38,
> correct?

My underscores were only an attempt to highlight the "0x" - some textmode
clients will render that as bold or underline, and for those that don't
it's still a reasonable visual approximation of an underline :)

> > It's complaining that a config register is wrong. Perhaps the conf-reg
> > says to test more memory than it actually has?

> > This line is the clue you get - it expected to find a value of 0xb or
> > 0x4... it actually observed 0x6.
> >
> > Check your config registers are set to sensible values and reboot, would
> > be my guess at a sensible first-thing to try.
>
> Now, how might one do that?  I haven't any idea what I'm doing when it
> comes to anything other than the OpenBoot commands. :)  This is the
> oldest Sun box I've had.
>
> Also, is there a way to find out what devices the machine things it has
> attached to it?  It's major malfunction (pun intended) is during bootup,
> and it traps heavily.  Could it expect there's a device somewhere in
> it's firmware, and, due to not finding it on bootup, it's dying?

I've got a list somewhere which I managed to find to help with mine - the
information is actually in one of the header files for a *BSD kernel :)

If you've got an older rev prom, you can type 'h' for help. If not, let me
know & i'll dig out a list of prom commands from here.. i /always/ have to
look these up too ;)

dave.