[SunRescue] SS2 memory

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 08:35:05 CST 2001

Lower-end boxes will go down in price a bit quicker now, IMHO.

An SS/10 is a great step-up box because it can take a lot of different CPUs,
is almost as fast as an SS/20 chassis, and can take all kinds of RAM (16/64
Meg SS/10/20/Ultra1/2/etc.)

An SS/5 can be a great deal, but my advice is to get the RAM with the
system - you will wind up paying about $35-50/32 Meg DIMM (ouch).

An Ultra 1 sells for about half the price of a new Sun Blade 100, and I
would say the Sun Blade is *easily* twice as fast, and upgrades are much
more affordable for the Sun Blade 100.

Ultra 5/10s are at an odd pricing point, and there will probably be some
market adjustments forthcoming, but not too drastic (IMHO).

Of course, my belief that the SS/10 is a great machine has not been
influenced at all by the fact that I may soon be selling one or two ;^) RAM
is affordable, HDs are easy (50 pin SCSI), and you have *lots* of room for
SBUS cards...

Ken
(No, I am not ready to list my SS/10s yet - soon, but not yet)