[SunRescue] SS2 memory

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 07:34:18 CST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, David Cantrell wrote:

> The FAQ says that the "card blocks SBus slot" - does that mean that it
> blocks a single slot, or that it blocks all of them?  Hopefully the
> former, as I want to keep my framebuffer (which I assume is taking up
> an sbus slot, I wasn't paying attention to that last time I opened it
> up!).

it installs into a single sbus slot, and has a small cable which plugs
into a header on the SS2's main board. on the SS2 that is adjacent to the
power supply.

> And, of course, anyone got any boards available?  Or know a part number?

they're difficult to find. IIRC memoryx have them on their site but out of
stock. the additional 32Mb daughterboard is even rarer.

One SunRescuer (Ken Hansen ?) recently offered a PowerUp'd SS2 with one
of these boards - which I wanted but couldn't sort payment :( ... I've not
yet found one of these boards available in the UK.

I have very occasionally seen them listed on US eBay. I suppose what
length you will go to will depend on how badly you want one ;)

I'm inclined to concentrate on newer boxes, for which memory is more
readily available. I got lucky with a couple of cheap SS5's (tho the
memory is proving very expensive) and have just got myself an SS10. The
memory for SS10/20 seems to be reasonably abundant just lately.

Just checked memoryx - see http://www.memoryx.net/5011823.html

Dave.