[SunRescue] SS2 memory

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 14:25:26 CST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> An SS/5 can be a great deal, but my advice is to get the RAM with the
> system - you will wind up paying about $35-50/32 Meg DIMM (ouch).

Most commercial outlets here want to charge 70ukp for second-user parts,
which is nearer to 100 of your Dollars :(

There are some cheaper sources if you ask around and can wait for them to
come along.. I've managed to pick up some bits & pieces at reasonable
prices - In one case buying a faulty SS5/32Mb for the dimm .. and then
selling the SS5 for parts :)

It's nice to have the SS10 now. unfortunately one of the two matched SM51
modules i bought for it turned out to be DOA and so I can't have my SMP
yet :(

If anyone in the UK would like to part with 1 or 2 dual-sparc mbus boards
which will fit an SS10 (i will upgrade the boot rom if needbe) for a
sensible price I might be interested. Not bothered about speed or cache ..
it's just that a quad-processor setup is somehow appealing :)

d.