[SunRescue] Usenet: SUN 330 Free to good home

Dave Reader rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 07:17:07 CST 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, kebabthesheep wrote:

> --- Dave Reader <dave at undone.org.uk> wrote: >
> > Memory is 8x 30pin simm sockets on the CPU card - these can only be 1Mb
> > each when the 4/300 cpu is used in the 330 system - and upto two memory
> > boards in the 3U slots, which take 16x 30pin simms each - 1 or 4Mb.
>
> Um, I have 32Mb in *mine* on the mainboard, as 8x4Mb, and NO expansion boards.  It seems to work
> just fine, reporting 32Mb of ram at the monitor, and in sunos4.1.

Yes.. I've run one like this up into the rom monitor, (and with expansion
boards too - it counts all of the memory) but without having run it I
didn't want to suggest it would function properly. I understand that the
configs I quoted are the Sun approved ones.

I have seen suggestions that the rom monitor on the 4/330 variant of the
4/300 cpu was different to other 4/300's to enforce (read: cripple) some
of the capabilties.

> > They're a 33MHz CPU.
>
> No.  They are 25Mhz.  Sorry to nitpick :)

Yeah.. I should have noticed that Ooops as i wrote it. the 4/400 was 33 ;)

> > They do have those little mostek/st nvram chips - so
> > you may need to do something if the battery is dead (i've got one modified
> > as per the FAQ with a couple of AA cells wired onto it ... works fine).
> >

> Yeah!  I found out recently with my 4/370, that if the nvram goes, the machine is dead meat.

My other 330 does have a dead one, but a quick (but not too quick! big psu
goes pop != good) power cycle seems to permit it to boot (ie, restore
power before it loses its memory again).

dave.