[SunRescue] Usenet: SUN 330 Free to good home

kebabthesheep rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 06:53:56 CST 2001

--- Dave Reader <dave at undone.org.uk> wrote: >
> Memory is 8x 30pin simm sockets on the CPU card - these can only be 1Mb
> each when the 4/300 cpu is used in the 330 system - and upto two memory
> boards in the 3U slots, which take 16x 30pin simms each - 1 or 4Mb.

Um, I have 32Mb in *mine* on the mainboard, as 8x4Mb, and NO expansion boards.  It seems to work
just fine, reporting 32Mb of ram at the monitor, and in sunos4.1.

> They're a 33MHz CPU.

No.  They are 25Mhz.  Sorry to nitpick :)

> They do have those little mostek/st nvram chips - so
> you may need to do something if the battery is dead (i've got one modified
> as per the FAQ with a couple of AA cells wired onto it ... works fine).

Yeah!  I found out recently with my 4/370, that if the nvram goes, the machine is dead meat.
As an aside - A mate of mine just found a 4/390, I wonder how long it will be before he needs to
get rid of it?  I wonder if a 4/390 would go through my front door? Hehee ;)

Dave.