[SunRescue] Usenet: SUN 330 Free to good home

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 10:55:04 CST 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Dave Reader wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, kebabthesheep wrote:
>

> > --- Dave Reader <dave at undone.org.uk> wrote: >
> > > Memory is 8x 30pin simm sockets on the CPU card - these can only be 1Mb
> > > each when the 4/300 cpu is used in the 330 system - and upto two memory
> > > boards in the 3U slots, which take 16x 30pin simms each - 1 or 4Mb.
> >
> > Um, I have 32Mb in *mine* on the mainboard, as 8x4Mb, and NO expansion boards.  It seems to work
> > just fine, reporting 32Mb of ram at the monitor, and in sunos4.1.
>
> Yes.. I've run one like this up into the rom monitor, (and with expansion
> boards too - it counts all of the memory) but without having run it I
> didn't want to suggest it would function properly. I understand that the
> configs I quoted are the Sun approved ones.
>
> I have seen suggestions that the rom monitor on the 4/330 variant of the
> 4/300 cpu was different to other 4/300's to enforce (read: cripple) some
> of the capabilties.

On my schools campus we have a 330 with 72megs of ram.  It doesn't get
used much.  For that past few years it was just a file server (originally
it was a computer vision workstation, but installing solaris ended it's
usefullness at that), but I don't think it is even powered on anymore.

> > > They're a 33MHz CPU.
> >
> > No.  They are 25Mhz.  Sorry to nitpick :)
>
> Yeah.. I should have noticed that Ooops as i wrote it. the 4/400 was 33 ;)

I thought my schools was faster that 33 but I wouldn't swear to it.  It
certainly felt fairly responsive under SunOS for such a slow machine.
Certainly seemed a lot faster than a powered-up IPC.

On another note, how standard is VME?  Could I use Sun4 VME cards in a
sun3 chassis or vice versa?  I just can't get the ethernet to work on my
Sun3/160 and I'm wondering if popping in a sun4 board would be a
reasonable option (although I'd be glad to take another sun3 board if
someone wants to donate one :).

--
Joshua Boyd