[rescue] Uni (Was: Beginner VAX)

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 27 09:30:06 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 10:10:26AM -0400, sambo at charm.net wrote:
> joshua d boyd wrote:
> > My state school charges upwards of $5k/year, not including books.  Now,
> > $5k is hard to earn in only a summer.
>
> Depends what you're doing. There was a time I could earn that with one
> quick contract. Not anymore, sadly, since regularity of paycheck became
> an important thing. It doesn't help to have major gaps between jobs when
> you have a wife, kids, house, etc...
>
> But yeah, that was a few years ago. I'm sure it's more expensive now.

Now, if are willing to go to school part time, paying for it isn't that
hard.  But, I manage to scrape up the $5k every year, so I haven't had to
face that.  Well, I did take one semester off to work.  At this point, the
thought of doing anything that would delay graduating is somewhat
sickening.  I want out and on with life.  Maybe grad school.  Maybe
career.  Maybe wife and kids.  Maybe all of them.  I don't know.  I just
want out.

> >  And then, there was the highschool
> > kid in the news recently who built a breeder reactor in a shed in his
> > mother's back yard.  So, obviously, you get to play with them places other
> > the college.
>
> I missed that one. Can you point me to a news item somewhere? I have a
> shed, Dave's got a PDP-11, what more do we need?

OK, the original article was in Harpers.  I'm too lazy, so here is a
repost that someone put on another web site:
http://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html

Note, no PDP-11s were used.

--
Joshua D. Boyd