[rescue] Beginner VAX

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 27 05:59:26 CDT 2001

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Patrick, man, don't knock 'em...American colleges are highly
> profitable businesses!  They've got it down to an art form...convince
> the general population that human beings are incapable of learning
> outside of a school environment, then charge megabucks for said
> environment...

Oh, I don't know that I agree with that. I went to a state school that
charged all of $480 a quarter. Even a 19-yr old working part-time could
afford $2k/yr. And I think I actually *did* learn something. Where else
would I have gotten to play with my very own live nuclear reactor? I
worked in the Plasma Physics lab, which by itself paid for tuition,
books, and a room off-campus. They had a great mealcard system where you
pay $100 and get $120 credit on your card. All in all, a pretty good
year and a half.

> it's time, the school has endless cheap (and by that time, skilled)
> labor, and some of the brainwashed idiots actually feel like they're

See above re: reactor. No brainwashing involved. Gimme access to raw
fusion and I'll JUMP.

>   We're in the wrong business.  Colleges are the way to go.  I think I'm
> gonna start one next week.

'K. I'll teach something.

---Professor sambo