[rescue] Beginner VAX

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 27 00:54:11 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:21:55PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> in the years since then while using Solaris.  I even created USAO's
> first web server as a Summer 1995 Independent Study project, and got
> five hours credit for it.  I also setup the first instances of

Think about this:  you do useful work, then the U. charges you 5 credit
hours * (rate for for 1 credit) = big bucks.

How fair is that?

> PINE (yes, on VMS), LYNX, VMS NEWS (kinda like TIN), and IRC (yes, ircii
> on VMS!  dough's client!) that people on campus had ever used.  Before
> I showed up to add all these wonderful things (I was the first freshman
> ever hired to be a lab assistant / IT geek), they'd only been using the
> FULL T1 LINE for *email*.  This was 1993-95.

you guys had a T1!  My U. had a 56K leased line, the IT manager was a
veteran of IBM, a former AS/400 salesman, and the big CS prof on campus
wanted to run everything on MacOS 7.5 (including the web server).

*SOB*

./patrick