[rescue] OT: Solaris for Intel

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 25 08:45:06 CDT 2001

Upsides of the Axil 245:

cheap memory (72 pin, not SS/5 proprietary)
can take up to 6 4, 8, 16, or 32 Meg SIMMs
lots of room inside - good ventilation
TGX+ (4 Meg) on-board framebuffer
SS/5-85 CPU
floppy can be pulled, and another SCSI HD added -
cabling in place already

Downsides of Axil 245:

SBUS slots are stacked, not side-by-side - no
dual-wide SBUS cards
memory is slower than SS/5 memory
bigger than a lunchbox (IPX/LX) but not huge...

All-in-all, a nice little system - I have one, runs
very nicely...

Ken
<snip>

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1257340519
> Axil 245 (SPARC 5 clones, but they have 6 slots for
> regular
> 72-pin parity SIMMs).  These have 1GB disks and two
> memory slots
> populated with 32-MB SIMMs...which implies that
> they're probably
> similar to Classic/LX boxes but with the faster
> processor.
>
> 4 of them in a dutch auction, and I'm the only
> current bidder,
> going for $25.
>
> (If someone on the list outbids me then I'll have to
> hunt you
> down and kill you...I just raised my bid to $45.)
>
> Note that this is one of Dave McGuire's favorite
> SPARC boxen...

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com