[rescue] OT: Solaris for Intel

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 25 08:16:14 CDT 2001

[[SNIP]]
>> 2.  What is it that you are trying to accomplish?
[[SNIP]]
> The Goal is to have equipment with Intel prices and Solaris
> reliability.*
> Ideally, I'd install Linux/*BSD and be done with it.  But the PCB CAD
> software we use (3 packages, two vendors) is only compiled
> for SunOS and
> HP-UX.  "Linux" support is being considered for at least one
> of the three.
Ah ha!  If you have software that is "only compiled for"
SunOS or Solaris, then that *usually* means only for SunOS/SPARC
and Solaris/SPARC.  Have you verified with the vendors that they
do in fact support the x86 architecture with their Solaris
product?  If they all do, then the CAD software vendors are
a lot more responsive than the security software vendors...

> The secondary goal is to learn more about Unix and have a box
> I can mangle
> and do 'dumb things' to (and yes, I've already had linux on
> it).  I've got
> an SS10 on my desk, but I need it for work, I'd like not to
> cripple it.

Hmmm...if what you want is an inexpensive box capable of running
SunOS/Solaris, then check out
  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1257340519
Axil 245 (SPARC 5 clones, but they have 6 slots for regular
72-pin parity SIMMs).  These have 1GB disks and two memory slots
populated with 32-MB SIMMs...which implies that they're probably
similar to Classic/LX boxes but with the faster processor.

4 of them in a dutch auction, and I'm the only current bidder,
going for $25.

(If someone on the list outbids me then I'll have to hunt you
down and kill you...I just raised my bid to $45.)

Note that this is one of Dave McGuire's favorite SPARC boxen...

Hope this helps--
--
Rip Loomis
Senior Systems Security Engineer, SAIC CIST