[rescue] flamewar question: Perl

Tugrul Galatali rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 22 06:12:19 CDT 2001

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Is it worth my time to lern Perl? (er, "learn perl better
> than the little I know it already")?

	What do you want to do with it?

	For the lazy ones among us, it saves us a lot of trouble. Its
extremely comfortable with data, and available almost everywhere by default
these days. I can replace dialects of shell scripting with a familiar C-like
language. I've never learned how to use awk and sed because simple perl
scripts suffice. I can easily shuffle data from a variety of sources thanks to
extensive third party modules and almost natural data structures.

	Its a regexp engine thrown in a amphibious tank body with the storage
capabilities of a aircraft carrier :)

	As far as it stands as a language, I have no clue. Its been a year
since I used it in any serious capacity, and within the confines of a job it
was easier to hack things together than to "do it right" by the language. I
will have to investigate objects before I try using it seriously again. I'd
like to have a real framework in my next webapp.

	mod_perl + DBI + HTML::Template <-> Whoa

	And there is the problem that even though a lot of freely available
modules exist, you will always find code that is jibberish. Its hard to
embrace and extend other peoples work :(

	Tugrul Galatali