[rescue] flamewar question: Perl

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 22 10:19:45 CDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 03:25:45AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Okay, I know this is liable to generate a flame war.
> Tis good, we need more activity on the lists anyway.
>
> Is it worth my time to lern Perl? (er, "learn perl better
> than the little I know it already")?
>
> (so far, I havent had a *need* to learn it..)

I guess the question is whether you really think, based on what direction
your career is going, you will need it in the future.

Personally, I think Perl is a flaming pile of crap, and I don't use it
unless I absolutely have to.  Just because Larry Wall writes a lot about
programming language design, etc. doesn't mean that he knows WTF he is
doing.

Wait for the arguments about how "so many people use it", "there are modules
for everything" etc. - the same argument MSFT fart catchers use as to why
you should have Windows NT or 2K as a server.

There are better scripting languages, two that come to mind are Python and
TCL.

Cordially

Patrick