[rescue] Sun SSA's

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 17 12:12:13 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 11:38:29AM -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> If things go right (sometimes they do) I will soon be owning 3 Sun Sparc Storage
> Arrays. Two have 30 gig storage (30 1 gig drives) and one has 120 gig storage
> (I think).

ahh, got me one of them.  it's giving me fits, but that may be due to a badly
abused fibre cable, we'll see once i get replacement cables.

> IF (big IF) I can get the SBUS fiberchannel card that was used with these
> babies I will be looking for info on using them.

pretty much just plug them in and go.  the cards show up as socN and the array
shows up as plnN and the disks show up in /dev/(r)dsk/cNtNdNsN that's all there
is to it. :)

> IF I cannot get the FC card and no one has one cheap (ie: next to nothing or
> willing to trade something), I will be looking for a home for these pristine
> boxes.

they regularly go on ebay for $100-$150 each.  that's what held me back from
getting my SSA running for so long, it was hard to scrape together $150 for
the card.

> They were just powered down recently and have been under contract all their
> lives.

very nice.

> PS... does the SBUS F/C card work in the SS5? I know its overkill to put SSA's
> on a SS5, but the SS5 is my only Sun box right now (cash crunch caused a purge).

it should work fine.  if it's the only SBus machine you have, then i don't see
what choice you have. :)  plus, the SSA only pushes 25MB/sec over that fibre,
so it's not much faster than a fast/wide SCSI setup.  get NFS and samba running
and you have a nice new toy. :)

-brian