[rescue] Re:o2 dualhead

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 12 01:22:46 CDT 2001

roosmcd at dds.nl wrote:

>   Look at:
>  http://www.sgi.co.nz/Products/PDF/2019.pdf
>
> It says 1280x1024 at 75 Hz and just below that "38 Hz
> graphics update rate". So they are using one framebuffer to
> drive the two monitors sequentially. In the box is probably
> some memory that produces an echo of the video signal, 38
> Hz would look very bad on a 21" :). This works with the
> same principle as stereo viewing (for cheap stereo, take a
> look at my page: http://huizen.dds.nl/~roosmcd)

Uhm. Please do remember that not a single 21" tube (from what I've ever
seen) is capable of syncing at such a low vertical refresh rate as 38Hz.
If you read the paper more carefully, it says "graphics update", not
"display refresh rate".
Solution: keep the full display refresh rate within 75Hz but with the
cost of cutting graphics framerate by half.

/Bjorn