[rescue] interesting geek toy

Michael Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 11 15:59:41 CDT 2001

>What exactly constitutes a "public airwave"?

Anything that isn't used for cellphones. My understanding is
that the R9000 is restricted because it can receive on the =

900MHz spectrum used for them.  One of the guys from
Icom corporate is in my ham club. Want me to find out for
sure? Anyway, as far a federal regulations are concerned,
you can monitor anything else subject to the following
conditions:

1. You can't retransmit or disclose message content without =

concent from both parties.

2. You can't use intercepted transmissions to aid in a criminal =

act. (eg. Using a scanner to keep tabs on the cops  while
you rob a bank.)

Note: Usual disclaimers apply. I am not a lawyer, etc. =

(Some states and communities have laws far more strict.
Check them before you purchase equipment.  Some =

have banned scanners, and have really draconian
monitoring laws. YMMV.)