[rescue] RE: What do we do with a poor old SS/2...

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 5 12:54:42 CDT 2001

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> My advice:
>
> 1) Don't get an IPC unless it falls out of the sky into your lap ready to go, but that is just me. An LX/Classic can probably be gotten for minimal dollars, and could run Solaris 8, if the drivers for your FDDI card required it. Also, be on the alert for an SS/5 - that would be a great box with a bit of a future. (My SS/5-170 is *loaded* and is very snappy too for most end-user needs (thanks to a TGX)).

In this day and age, it isn't that hard to arrange for an IPC/IPX to fall
out of the sky.  It just needs to fall with an adequate amount of memory.

> 2) Managing bookmarks - sounds like you are re-inventing Yahoo...

First, Yahoo doesn't have most of the links in my bookmark file, for some
reason (although Google probably does).  Second, I bookmark things
specifically, so if it is there, then it is probably what I'm looking for.
3rd, Yahoo doesn't tell me when I added things, nor does it let me create
my own categories.  And their categories are always too broad, or two
narrow.  Plus, sites are allowed in two categories or so, not more.

> 3) On an SS/2 Solaris 2.5.1 would be acceptable, if youpared down the OS (i.e. minimal install), and remember to run it headless (tty console/telnet-only). I learned Solaris Admin using Solaris 2.5.1 on IPCs, and while it wasn't speedy, for the little bit of dinking around in admintool and xterms it was OK. Although, installing Solaris from a 1x CD-ROM drive was like watching paint dry in a very humid room ;^)

Yeah, now I'm going to have to dig that up.  Unfortunatly, it is older
than the Free Solaris for students program.

--
Joshua Boyd