[rescue] RE: What do we do with a poor old SS/2...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 5 12:16:11 CDT 2001

My advice:

1) Don't get an IPC unless it falls out of the sky into your lap ready to go, but that is just me. An LX/Classic can probably be gotten for minimal dollars, and could run Solaris 8, if the drivers for your FDDI card required it. Also, be on the alert for an SS/5 - that would be a great box with a bit of a future. (My SS/5-170 is *loaded* and is very snappy too for most end-user needs (thanks to a TGX)).

2) Managing bookmarks - sounds like you are re-inventing Yahoo...

3) On an SS/2 Solaris 2.5.1 would be acceptable, if youpared down the OS (i.e. minimal install), and remember to run it headless (tty console/telnet-only). I learned Solaris Admin using Solaris 2.5.1 on IPCs, and while it wasn't speedy, for the little bit of dinking around in admintool and xterms it was OK. Although, installing Solaris from a 1x CD-ROM drive was like watching paint dry in a very humid room ;^)

HTH,

Ken