[rescue] SGI... sweet!

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 3 22:48:49 CDT 2001

Actually, I just said that 12x was a lot of compression.  However, come to
think of it, Firewire and MiniDV only uses 4megs per second, and that
means that it is compressed even more.  Still, this rules out dual stream
editing, but you don't have the software for that anyway.

Broadcast 2000 is GPLed.  It is mainly for linux.  It has a lot of
assembly in it, but then, there is an Alpha port, so the assembly must not
be too hard to get around.  Maybe that would be reasonable to port to
irix.  If you did, it probably would be quite popular, since the closest
thing to cheap editing software is premiere, which costs a lot more for
Irix than PC, and it reportedly sucks on irix. There are one or two other
GPLed NLEs, but they are no where near primetime (sync problems out the
wazoo for one thing).

If by LVM, you are talking about Linux Volume Manager, then there is
something like that for irix.  But I don't know if it costs extra or not.
The machine should be able to readily do software striping without killing
performance, especially if you upgrade the ram.  You also could consider
FDDI, which from what McGuire says should be much faster.  But, that would
set you back a fair amount two.

If you are comfterble with doing things the hardware, you can do editing
of video using the built in capture and playback programs, the programs to
convert video to sequencial frames, some perl/python/whatever scripts, and
flip (which requires Qt, which looked easy to put on Irix when I watched
someone else do it).  The basic idea is that you have the scripts help you
rearrange the frames, and use Flip for the playback tests.  But, again,
this requires more ram than you have.

However, until you upgrade the ram, you can capture, edit on linux (using
the scripting/Flip method, or Broadcast 2000), the dump back to tape on
irix again.

Really, there are so many ways to do things on that machine.  I wish I had
one (on the list of things to consider once employment for fall and/or
spring is confirmed).

--
Joshua Boyd