[rescue] SGI... sweet!

Robert Rose rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 3 20:32:49 CDT 2001

 >From: "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu>
 >Please tell me that you are planning to RUN to get more memory for that
 >machine.
I will once I sign a new contract. I had to empty the money out of my
consulting company at the end of the financial year and am currently
"between contracts". I was hopeful the pimps would have called me back by
now, but as usual I'll have to do their job for them and chase things up.

 >As to the video capture questions, you are doing well if you can get 7.5
 >mbytes per second over 100mbit ethernet. Personally, I don't know that I
 >would want to count on getting more than 5megs. That means that you need
 >to use at least 12x compression, which is a lot of compression.
Hmm, well that answers that, I guess the answer should have been "NO, and
shame on you for even thinking it Rob".

 >If you don't care, than it should work OK. But, these days scsi drives
 >are fairly cheap in the 4 and 9 gig variety, so if you can scrape together
 >some spare cash after radically upgrading that machines memory, then why
 >not capture locally?
It was a thought as I have a nice AMI PCI raid controller with a large
cache and a dual PPro box both doing nothing at the moment. I've got a
stack (6) of Seagate ST34573WC (4Gb 7200rpm, although according to Seagate,
this model was never available with SCA) disks to use, should be enough to
get started with. All I have to do is find or build an enclosure for them
and the SCA backplane to go in. Is there an LVM available standard in Irix
or is more dollars?

 >PS, do you have any video editing software for it?
No, just whatever comes with Irix. The box was originally used as a
firewall (don't laugh), hence the second ethernet interface. Once I get
some cashflow happening, I can probably afford to purchase something useful
to run on it.
I really don't know what it's going to be used for just yet, depends on how
much memory costs and if I can sell my Indy (wife has decreed it must go).

Rob.