[rescue] SGI... sweet!

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 3 23:58:10 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 11:48:49PM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> Actually, I just said that 12x was a lot of compression.  However, come to
> think of it, Firewire and MiniDV only uses 4megs per second, and that
> means that it is compressed even more.  Still, this rules out dual stream
> editing, but you don't have the software for that anyway.

Dunno about MiniDV, but Firewire "a" is 400Mbps=50Mbytes/s; "b" is
800Mbps=100Mbytes/s.

Many typical DV-quality or lower streams are somewhere around 3.5-4megs per
second.  Sony makes a box that accepts analog video and outputs 3.5meg/s.

> If by LVM, you are talking about Linux Volume Manager, then there is
> something like that for irix.  But I don't know if it costs extra or not.

before Linux, LVM meant "logical volume management/manager".  I think XFS
has this capability but the last Irix I played with was somewhere around 5.3
and at that point was an add-in.

> Really, there are so many ways to do things on that machine.  I wish I had
> one (on the list of things to consider once employment for fall and/or
> spring is confirmed).

quote, "me too" endquote  :-)

./patrick