[rescue] CD ROM

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 2 23:28:30 CDT 2001

Well, I tried making that swap.  Still no go.  Argh.  I never could get
the CDRW hooked up internally (to PC) to work correctly, but I figured
that it was probably that the cable was hideosly old (the cable used to
connect it was purchased in 1992, and was never sucessfully used).

Frankly, I have yet to have anything scsi work correctly for me.  I two
scsi risc workstations around here, and I can't get the OS onto either of
them.  I have two PCs with SCSI currently, and have had others in the
past, and not one scsi device has every worked on any of them (hard
drives mostly until the past few months).

Darn it, scsi isn't supposed to be this hard.  Every scsi device I've ever
baught was brand name (Archive Python tape drive, maxtor and seagate hard
drives, yamaha cdrw, plextor cdrom, and qlogic, trantor[from when they
were good ISA makers], and future domain controllers).  And everything was
bought from reputable dealers or ebay sellers with really high positive
feedback.

So, how much would the cheapest external CD-Rom to work on both
Sparcstation2s and HP PA-Risc machines be?  Probably more than I can
afford after spending so much on stuff that doesn't work.  Yech.

And BTW, it appears that FDDI support under all free OSs really sucks.  It
looks like the only thing supported period is the DEC FDDI PCI and Eisa
cards, and then only on linux.

Anyway, it's time for me to shuffle off to bed after another night of
trying to get just one of my real unix machines to work.  Somedays I just
hate computers.  Maybe I should try to go out tomorrow night instead of
fighting these machines yet again...

--
Joshua Boyd