[rescue] CD ROM

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 2 23:13:08 CDT 2001

On 02 Jul 2001 22:48:59 -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 10:46:23PM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> > Anyway, I'm having trouble getting the scsi CD-ROM I bought for my HP and
> > SS2 to work.  However, I notive that the CD-RW that I bought (yamaha
> > CDRW4260t) has a jumper labeled block size.  Does this mean that if I swap
> > it to the external bay it should be able to boot the machines that require
> > a 512block?  That would be convienient, since I wanted to get an external
> > case for that drive anyway.
>
> that jumper should do exactly what you are expecting it to do.  so pop that
> badboy in an external enclosure and you have a boot/burn drive that can be
> hooked into anything.  not a bad setup.

No, not anything by any stretch of the imagination.  Indy's are so
freaking picky about CDROM drives it's not even funny.  I've got a nice
4-speed 6 disk changer that works like a charm on my SPARCs and my SCSI
based PCs.  The Indy recognizes it, but gets confused as all hell by the
changer part.  I've also got a nice S&F 2006 CDR drive, which boots fine
on the Sun machines, but the Indy recognizes it as a WORM device, and
won't boot from it.  I love that machine, I hated trying to load
software on it before I had a nice NFS server going.
	Greg