[SunRescue] Solaris on an iPAQ?

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 19 18:34:36 CST 2001

The iPaq he mentions is the palmtop - porting Solaris to a "legacy-free"
machine would be a trivial exercise, and worth very little discussion, IMHO.

The IBM OS that was ported to PC hardware relied on a PC/370 card, that had
"re-programmed" MC68000 CPUs that ran a useful subset of the full IBM 370
architecture. The cards were not cheap, until IBM stopped supporting them. I
saw them a few years ago for sale at about $50/set, without software. (just
add your own VM license!)

IBM has made several attempts to leverage IBM 370 architecture with low-cost
MIPs, but none really took off, IIRC.

Fooling people to think I have a "mainframe in my palm" is not soemthing I
would value at $60/mo.

;^)

Ken