[SunRescue] Solaris on an iPAQ?

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 19 18:36:43 CST 2001

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 06:37:53PM -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Haw Haw Haw.
>
> I can't believe you said that... Why not WinNT/embedded?
>
> The Solaris Kernel would demand more resources than the iPaq
> has - the iPaq has a non-supported platform (rewrite the kernel
> to run on a 32 Meg palmtop w 200x200 color display?)...

Are you sure that he isn't asking about the x86-based non-upgradeable
boxes with built-in Ethernet?

> (Could we port VM to my Libretto? It would be so cool to have
> multiple MVS instances running on my 3 pound mini-laptop!)

Actually, I think that there was a company that ported one of the IBM
mainframe OSes to PC hardware.  Maybe it was the System/38 stuff
though.

If you got a wireless CDPD modem and paid $60/month for unlimited
access, then you could SSH to anything and fool people into thinking
you had done it locally, even a Beowulf cluster... "yeah, I factored a
Mersenne prime, here, watch me do it again..."

./patrick