[rescue] The fat lady. . .

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 16:05:23 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 04:50:31PM -0500, Andrew Weiss wrote:
> I find a Sound Blaster 16 (plain Jane Creative) to be one of the best ISA
> sound cards ever.  Just plug it in and go.  It is the only card that has
> survived many upgrades from 486 DX2-66 --> AMD 5x86 133 --> Pentium Pro
> 150 --> Pentium Pro 200 --> wherever else it might go... and every OS I've
> tried likes it ok it's 7 years old and still playing South Park sounds
> at random intervals on my computer at work.  Worked with... Solaris 2.5.1
> x86, Linux since 1.2.13, all Windows's, OPENSTEP 4.2, and FreeBSD.

The SB16 varied over the years.  I used to have an OK one (I put it in a
machine I sold a number of years ago to drive a wierd CDROM), and I've seen
a few good ones, and quite a lot of crappy ones.  The chipset itself is mostly
fine (it has a fubared full duplex implementation), but the construction of the
cards varied a lot over the years.

--
Joshua D. Boyd