[rescue] The fat lady. . .

Andrew Weiss rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 16:26:07 CST 2001

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> The SB16 varied over the years.  I used to have an OK one (I put it in a
> machine I sold a number of years ago to drive a wierd CDROM), and I've seen
> a few good ones, and quite a lot of crappy ones.  The chipset itself is mostly
> fine (it has a fubared full duplex implementation), but the construction of the
> cards varied a lot over the years.

I think mine is the Pioneer one... Creative branded, however.  I haven't
cleared off the dust to check the rev or the chipset.  I always loved the
full-duplex when everyone else had crap for a sound card and could only do
half.

The worst sound card I ever came across was the Aztech Sound Galaxy
Washington (semi-work-alike) in my ex-wife's Packard Bell Force 100 in
college.  That was the sh*ttiest system I've ever seen... even the
brochure said "Made from Quality new and used parts."  Their tech support
was long distance, made you wait 2 hours, and had nothing useful to say.
Her sound card only would work if you used the factory install disk to
restore a factory windows install... Not from a bare formatted drive using
real windows and the drivers for her card.  Turns out that they did some
weird hackish patches to the drivers to get the card to wake up and work.

Andrew

There are, of course, thousands of people who claim to be sys admins who
have the single "skill" of working it out from a gui tool. Ask these people
to move 500 users accounts or 300 virtual hosts from one machine to another
and they are as useful as chocolate firemen. -- Anonymous Coward on Slashdot
8/15/01

UNIX and cigarettes, both addictive and both contain tar.