[rescue] We are stumped... (SSH between Powerbook & Solarisbox)

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 27 15:37:35 CST 2001

On Thursday, December 27, 2001, at 03:59 PM, Amy wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:
>> Amy, I'm not insulted by a reference to a book, but the books you
>> choose
>> to cite are geared towards folks new to *nix. While to you, your
>> suggestion to "read a *nix for dummies book" is the same as "go get the
>> O'Reilly book on SSH and look in there, it is covered in chapters 4-6",
>> it does not read the same on this end.
>
> have you ever picked either of those books up?

YES. I may even own UFD. But the book itself was never the point. SSH is
not covered in the book anyway - I checked the Index online.

> have you ever read or
> looked at them before scoffing arrogantly and going to the nearest 6
> inch
> tome nearby in the bookshelf?

I didn't scoff at the book, I bristled at the implied insult I saw in
your statement.

Big difference.

> have i? yes. they were both great books and very informative. i
> read UFD after i'd read numerous o'reilly books and i still caught
> things
> i didnt understand or see before.

Again, not about the books themselves, but about the implied insult.

Amy, you were the only person to complain about my
question/investigation into what was going on - how was it decided that
I was the one that was wrong? Committee of one? Yipee.

Ken

n2vip at yahoo.com
n2vip at mac.com
Looking for something, try browsing