OT Linux (RE: [rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?)

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 26 17:40:11 CST 2001

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 06:17:35PM -0500, dave at cca.org wrote:
> I try to explain to people that the difference between "Server" and
> "Workstation" is pretty much just a price range, and if money was no
> object, they'd have a "server" on their desktop, with a graphics
> board thrown in.

Point in fact, that is exactly what the really highend workstations from Sun
and SGI are.  The Onyx machines are Challenges with a graphics board.  The
Onyx2s are Origin 2000s with a better graphics board thrown in, and the Onyx3s
are literally an Origin 3000 with a G-Brick (which is basically the board from
the Onyx2 remodelled into a brick, which is frankly a big disappointment since
it pretty much means that Onyx3s aren't graphically better than 2s, even if
they are more effective computation machines).

Likewise, the highend Sun workstations are Enterprise servers with a few
graphics boards thrown in (I believe they were using the 450 model for this
purpose last I heard).

> Ya'd think the VAXstation 8000 would have ended that dispute, but
> nooooooo....

Err, I don't believe I know anything about the VAXstation 8000.  Poking around
I see 3D graphics associated with it, as well as it apparently shipped
initially with 4Megs of ram.

--
Joshua D. Boyd