OT Linux (RE: [rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 26 17:17:35 CST 2001

marks at hrsparc3.corp.sbc.com writes:

>That reminds me of the time I went to a Intel (non-disclosure type) meeting
>where they said that the 486 chip was for servers ONLY and would never be
>used in desktop machines.  circa 1989.

I laugh so hard anytime I hear something like that.

I try to explain to people that the difference between "Server" and
"Workstation" is pretty much just a price range, and if money was no
object, they'd have a "server" on their desktop, with a graphics
board thrown in.

Ya'd think the VAXstation 8000 would have ended that dispute, but
nooooooo....

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------