OT Linux (RE: [rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?)

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 21 23:47:44 CST 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-21 at 21:30, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> >> pretty nice in this instance for a few reasons.  First it is possible to get
> >> more cache
> > Up to 8MB on some chips/systems.

I seem to recall the numbers from Sun being slightly misleading on this
topic, but maybe I'm confused.  I can't find it now...

> Cool.  I didn't know that sparcs went that high.  That would be really cool.
> Get a 10 proc SS1k.  It would have more L2 cache than some of my machines have
> RAM.

Unfortunately, not with that machine.  I seem to recall that one of the
SPARC Center machines could take CPUs with 2MB of cache, but Sun4m
processors don't come with more cache than that, either on the
HyperSPARCs nor the SuperSPARCs.  Most SuperSPARCs have either 1MB or no
cache, while HyperSPARCs seem to be fairly evenly split between 256K and
512K.  The US-III certainly has up to 8MB of L2 cache onboard the CPU,
and I've not seen any systems shipping with less than that 8MB.

Hmm, I should go look how much cache the US-I 170 has...
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.