OT Linux (RE: [rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?)

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 21 23:55:49 CST 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 09:47:44PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> Unfortunately, not with that machine.  I seem to recall that one of the
> SPARC Center machines could take CPUs with 2MB of cache, but Sun4m
> processors don't come with more cache than that, either on the
> HyperSPARCs nor the SuperSPARCs.  Most SuperSPARCs have either 1MB or no
> cache, while HyperSPARCs seem to be fairly evenly split between 256K and
> 512K.  The US-III certainly has up to 8MB of L2 cache onboard the CPU,
> and I've not seen any systems shipping with less than that 8MB.

Oh.  I wasn't thinking of Ultra Sparcs.  Of course those have large L2s.  I've
only used regular Sparcs.  I would assume that there is alot the same between
the sparcs and ultras, but I can't say for sure that the ultras do the same
things, like register windowing.  Maybe they only have 32 registers and have
the OS fake it.  I don't think that is what is happening, but I don't know for
sure.

--
Joshua D. Boyd