[rescue] Spaceballs.

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 6 15:29:05 CST 2001

Does anyone know anything about getting the spaceballs (some are branded
Labtec, others spacetek, other HP, other IBM, other SGI, all appear to have
the same model numbers, 2003, 3003, 4000FLX, and be the same) working with
linux?  (Or an OS other than HP-UX, AIX, Irix, or windows)

The 4000FLX models appear to have an XInput driver for XFree, and there
also appears to be a driver in the linux joystick system for the 4000FLX.  But
that is all I've been able find.  The 4000flx drivers appear to specifically
not work with the earlier models

I'm mainly intersted in the 2003s and the 3003s since they are cheaper, and
I think they look cooler also.  They are serial devices.  I've never tried
writing serial drivers before, but I would think that the devices shouldn't be
too hard, unless someone went and intentionally obfuscated the protocol (can't
put that past companies, especially small/cheap ones like labtec).

Also, on a related note, what are the chances of being able to use serial
devices like palmpilots, wacom tablets, digital cameras, and spaceballs off of
a gadget like a xyplex?  So far the reports haven't been good for USB to serial
converters, or I'd try those.  I still trying to figure what to do about
wanting a digital camera, a wacom tablet, a spaceball, a palm pilot, and a null
modem cable on one 2 serial port machine.  At the moment I'm reaching around
and swapping cables fairly frequently.

--
Joshua D. Boyd