[rescue] FDDI

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 16:51:30 CST 2001

On December 3, Mark Price wrote:
> Is there any support for Sun SBUS FDDI cards under a non-Sun OS?  Any
> of the BSDs or Linux?  From what I have found from googling, the answer
> is no due to a crappy chipset.

  There is currently no support for sbus FDDI cards under a non-Sun OS.
Geoff Adams is currently working on a NetBSD/sparc driver for one of
the FORMAC-based cards but it's just in its beginning stages.

> Is there any support for Sun PCI FDDI cards on a x86 machine? with a
> non-Sun OS?

  Not that I know of...but NetBSD will takl to a DEC DEFPA card in just
about any OS-supported platform that has PCI, and Linux has drivers
for some SysKonnect cards...both of which have been much more common
than the Sun PCI FDDI cards on ebay, except for the past few weeks.

> if anyone has a source for some regular pee-sea fddi cards that would be
> cool.

  Your best bet is to check eBay daily.  They will turn up; it won't
take long.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire