[rescue] Boy, am I glad I didn't switch to Cable modem servi c e...

Corda Albert J DLVA rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 17:00:57 CST 2001

I've thought about the idea of a shed, and mentioned it
to the Adelphia office manager, but she was non-commital
about agreeing to connect to it. The other problem is that
I don't _own_ the entire driveway. The portion near the
street is just a right-of-way, so I don't know about the
legalities of erecting a shed on it.

I _do_ believe I could get away with a weatherproof enclosure
on a pole next to the driveway, but she totally refused to
consider the possibility of connecting to a cable router in
such an enclosure. I don't think she had a real understanding
of my idea of my providing a _connection point_..., she kept
insisting that I was not (and never would be) allowed to install
a cable up my own driveway... and unfortunately, they seem to
shield their technical people completely from the public... I've
never been able to get through their public relations firewall
and talk to someone who actually had any technical
knowledge about their networking/cabling/installation requirements...

At this point, I really do want to cause them some pain (and
make a point about the responsibilities of service providers
in a rural setting), so perhaps I'll persue the utilites
commission complaint venue that someone else mentioned here...
Heck, I have nothing to loose ...

-al-

BTW, someone else mentioned an RF/Dish system being used in the
Warrenton area (about ~60 Miles from me).  Is this one of the
Starband setups, or something new?  I considered Starband, but
their restriction on hosting web sites (and the real-time lag due
to speed of light delays) kind of turned me off on it (not to
mention the ~$400.00 installation and ~$70.00/month access fees)
Has anyone had any _good_ experiences with this type of setup?