[rescue] Installing OpenBSD 3.0 on IPX

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 1 20:32:59 CST 2001

Anyone had any luck?  I couldn't get the floppy install to work--probably a
dirty drive.  So I thought I'd try netbooting the install image, and ftp
over all the required files.  I finally got rarpd, bootparams, mount, and
nfsd config'd to serve up all the good stuff from an SS2, but it kept
hanging as the install kernel boots.

Just for fun, I tried the same exercise with a SS2.  I flipped the mac
addresses, dumped the arp cache, and now the SS2 was netbooting into the
install app, but it didn't hang!

The SS2 had a mix of simms (40 MB), the IPX was loaded with Sun barcode mem
(64 MB).
The SS2 had no drive or framebuffer, the IPX had a 420 MB Seagate installed.
Both were on a prom rev of 2.4 or so.

Just for fun, I upgraded the SS2 to rom v2.9, installed a cg6 in slot 3,
and added a 4GB cuda.  OpenBSD installed just fine.  So I up'd the IPX to
v2.9 and gave it another shot.  No joy.

Here's the very last few lines the install kernel spits out before hanging:

cgsix0 at sbus0 slot 3 offset 0x0: SUNW,501-1672, 1152 x 900, rev 7
cgsix0: attached to /dev/fb
fdc0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7200000 pri 11, softpri 4: chip 82072
fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
rd0: fixed, 4352 blocks
rootdev=0x1100 rrootdev=0x6a00 rawdev=0x6a02
WARNING: clock gained 44 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
er

The 'er' bit has me worried--from watching the SS2, it's supposed to be the
first line of the terminal control char cheat sheet (erase, kill, status,
etc.)

Any ideas?

thanks,
newell